Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Only read if you want to be dragged down with me...

Maybe I pray too hard.
Maybe I pray too much.
Maybe there's a reason that I just can't understand as to why no one will hire my husband.
He served over 6 years active as a military police officer in the Army and is now in the National Guard. He was a great officer, I always think it was what he was meant to do. He deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. He was discharged under honorable conditions. He was in a leadership role. He was an ideal soldier. He is devoted, smart, trustworthy, honest. He is a phenomenal father and husband.

The Army is the reason my husband is unemployed. He served his time, he deployed, he came home alive but what, is there no life after Army? Iraq is the reason he didn't get the Yale job and why he may never get a police job. Iraq. And I could sit here and I could kick, and I could scream, and I could ask why but what good is that going to do? All he really has is experience in law enforcement, but if he will not be hired as a police officer, what the hell are we supposed to do? Iraq is four years in the past but we're still paying for it and most likely always will. I'm so angry. I am so so angry. One year is screwing up our future. One year. One stinkin' year.

To whoever out there thinks their spouse can discharge from the Army and automatically be set up with a job or find a job quickly, don't kid yourself. Don't be a fool. I was a fool. I was naive. I thought finding a job would be a piece of cake. In the bag. Boy, was I wrong. Don't kid yourself.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Kim, my heart breaks for you both. You are so right, its not fair and its not even believable. I am praying for you guys...try to hang in there. Something has got to give...Gary is a great guy with tons of GOOD behind him. It will pay off for you and I hope that is so soon.

Sarah said...

I hate hearing this so much, he gave so much and saw horrible things and now it's haunting him and hurting you both. The right job has got to come along soon!